Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Meanwhile, at the gym ...

A great workout last night. Pam is teaching Strictly Strength on Tuesday nights through November, and she's a real butt-kicker. It hurts, in the most delicious way. I may never be able to perform every move with the grace and dexterity she does, but she keeps me trying anyway. And this morning, I'm a little ouchy. No, make that a lot.

Between Strictly Strength and Salsa/Funk, workout friend Jill came up to me and said, "You've lost a lot of weight!" To which I replied, "Yes; 18 and a half pounds to be exact." She went on to say that I'm looking great, and I began to explain how it's really nothing because there is so much more work to be done.

Well, bullshit. Yes, there is more to be done. I have 50 more to go (70, if you take the "recommended weight" for my frame, but I'll be pleased at 50.) But I need to cut myself some slack. 18.5 is an accomplishment. Every day that I don't stray too far from my calorie count, every day I get in a good workout ... it's all an accomplishment. It matters.

So after Salsa/Funk, when Lesley (who hadn't seen me in three weeks) commented on my weight loss, I simply accepted it. Thank you, I said. There is more to be done, and it's hard, work, but I'm pleased to have accomplished what I have.

It matters. Little changes make for a big life.

No comments: