Monday, January 30, 2012

Frozen like a Zucchini

The goal for 2012 is to complete 12 races - 12 in '12, if you will. I'm off to a great start, having finished two races in January (and with two on the schedule in February as well - including the BIG ONE).

January 29 was the Frozen Zucchini Snowshoe Adventure in Barrington. It actually became the Frozen Zucchini Snowshoe Run, because there wasn't enough snow. There was, however, enough snow to make it interesting and occasionally treacherous.

It was slow going, and I turned in probably my slowest race ever, but it was F.U.N. Our friend Barb (the Ironman woman) ran with us, and it was an incredible treat to have an athlete of her caliber alongside us. Very motivating!























This is me, approaching the finish line. Barb is to my left. Linda's foot is in the lower right-hand corner.

So like I said, it was a lot of fun. Slow going and a little dangerous (thank heaven for show cleats, even if they failed us), but a good time was had by all. AND ...













Where else can you get your photo taken with a guy in a zucchini suit? This is Barb, Meg, Linda and me, with Mr. Zucchini.

My official race results are: finished in 52:57.6, with an average 17:05 min/mile. I was 105 of 121 overall, and 21/31 women in my age group. All in all, not a bad outing. Still proud of not being the very last person across the line!

No comments: