Monday, February 11, 2013

Indoor tri, weigh-in, princess prep

Well, they say any progress is still progress, right?

Yesterday, I completed my second annual Lifetime Fitness Indoor Triathlon. It was great fun; I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

While at the same time letting myself down.

I haven't trained hard over the past year, but I have done a lot of work. And the one area where I expected to improve the most, I struggled. The indoor tri gives you a set amount of time to complete each discipline in an indoor setting - 10 minutes in the pool, 30 minutes on a spin bike, 20 minutes on a treadmill. You go as far as you can in the allotted time, and you are scored accordingly. Oh, you'd like to know my results? Okay.

Pfft. So the area in which I've trained the most - running - I improved by .01 miles. Which is shorthand for "almost not at all". I'm a little bummed about that.

I'm also equally bummed that one friend of mine (and I use the term loosely) seems to only see victory in eyeing what I'm doing, and beating that - no matter what that is. Not cool.  But I digress ...

All things considered, I had a great time. And no matter how small the margin, I did, indeed, do better this year than last. Mission accomplished.

In other news, I had a very active weekend. Friday after work, I drove up to Schaumburg to spend the weekend with Linda. So I was able to take yoga and salsa/funk Friday night, followed by Saturday morning swim and weight training, and a run. (The run turned into a very short run, because the roads are still snowy and no one seems to plow trails. Bummer!) Then on Sunday, we did the tri. All that activity meant also lots of food, but to my surprise my weigh-in this morning said 204.4.

Truly. I got on the scale three times to be sure it was serious. I still won't hit my goal of less than 200 by half-marathon time, but it's still a success as far as I'm concerned!

And finally ... two weeks from now, the half marathon will be just a memory. All the planning and preparation comes down to this one weekend, and I am both nervous and excited. I want to do well. I want to do my best, and I want to make sure I can keep my energy up and complete the race strong.

And I want to not die.

And I kinda want to finish in less than three hours.

Please?

In two weeks, we'll know.

No comments: