Friday, February 15, 2013

Royal Goals

One week from now, I will be in Orlando. It's Race Weekend!

My sister Kathie, her friend Carrie, me, and my friends Diane, Linda and Shelly will be taking part in Princess Half Marathon Weekend. It's four days of fun, with two runs - a 5K and a half marathon. So I wanted to take a moment or three and work my way through race-related goals, before the mayhem of planning and packing takes over my brain. Here's where I'm at:

5K Goals
The 5K is a fun run; it's not timed. So my approach will be pretty casual!

  • Have fun.
  • Stop for photographs.
  • Keep a solid, comfortable running pace for two miles.
  • Have fun.


That's it! Easy ones. Running a 5K is a simple proposition for me now (which is funny, considering how scared I was before my first one). So this is really just for the fun of it.

Half Marathon Goals
A more serious race, with more serious goals. Some have secondary or tertiary goals, in case I surpass one.

  • Have fun.
  • Finish.
    • Finish in the upright position.
      • Finish smiling.
  • Finish in less time than I did last year (3:24:29).
    • Finish at least 15 minutes faster than I did last year (under 3:10).
      • Finish in under three hours. (Please?)
  • Hydrate properly.
  • Don't need to stop to poop.
  • Enjoy the energy and atmosphere.
  • Don't cry.
So that's them - what I'm reaching for, starting one week from today. It's almost here!


No comments: