Saturday, September 24, 2011

Midtown 5K

This morning, September 24, I ran another 5K. And had an amazing time.

I like this run length. Having consistently run or walked or run/walked several 5Ks over the course of the past year, I've learned a lot. I've also seen a lot of progress. Like back in the beginning, the first one I ever did. That was the Mad Dash to Madison, the race associated with Blackhawks Training Camp. It was great fun ... but it was also the longest three miles of my life. I had no idea what I was getting into, apparently. I could hardly run any of it. I was in pain the next night. I was, quite simply, not in good enough shape to take on a race like that.

But I kept going ... I kept trying. I started this endeavor pulling in a 16 minute mile, wondering if I would ever consistently do better than that. My eye was on a 15-minute mile; if I could just do that, I'd be happy.

Back in March, I started to do that. Then I got injured, and I started the long crawl back to wellness.

I will never take the ability to run, walk or otherwise move my body for granted.

Anyway, today I ran a 5K. I got lost on it, so I don't consider my official time a true official time. I do, however, consider it an accomplishment, because I actually ran the full race for the second time ever. It felt amazing. I had great music on my iPod, including "This is Your Life" by Switchfoot; "Born to Run" by The Boss; "Where the Streets Have No Name" by U2; and "Unwritten" by Natasha Bedingfield, which oddly enough was playing as I crossed the finish line. Amazing.

Anyway, I finished with a time of 43:43, and a pace of 14 minutes and five seconds per mile. That's a little slower than the 5K I did on September 5, but no matter. I ran; I finished. That's the only goal.

Oh, and to have fun with these amazing, crazy women. Here's to a great, productive and active day!
A gathering of running buddies: Pam, Shelly, Dee, Meg and me.

No comments: