Saturday, September 10, 2011

Consistency

Well, kids, we've completed Week Two of the for-real training for the Hot Chocolate 15K. It's still doable; after all, Week One was pretty much what I've been doing all along - three runs of two miles in one week. This week, we kicked it up a little bit. Monday was a three-miler (the Birthday 5K), Wednesday two miles and today, three again. I was a little worried this morning, because running three miles means I'm up kinda early. Really early, for a Saturday. But I did it! Feeling pretty good about that.

In fact, last week I did not miss any of my training or exercise. Two yoga classes, two strength training classes, three runs and one blissful hour of cardio dance. Yep; done.

Next week is much of the same, but we're ramping up pretty steadily from here on out. Monday morning is going to dawn pretty early, because I have three miles to get in before I head to work. Wednesday is two miles again, while a week from today brings me a four-miler. Can I do this? Am I nuts? Yeah, probably. But I gotta try.

My legs are sore. My head is tired. And yet, I feel sorta ready. (Sorta.) We're heading into this territory of beyond. Beyond anything I've done before. Beyond anything I thought I could do. I worry before and during every run about injury. But for the first time in pretty much ever, I'm pressing forward, choosing to take a chance rather than play it safe. It would be easier to stay home, curl up on the couch and remain un-injured.

That's just not me. Somehow, over the course of the past year, I've become this person who can't choose to be sedentary.

Nope. Gotta run.

No comments: