Monday, October 22, 2012

Weigh in, recap, list

Well, I got on the scale again today, and it's just beating me up. 217.2; that's about 10 pounds heavier than I was at this time last year. I'm trying not to let it get to me.

It's depressing, realizing that I'm growing older and my body is just refusing to cooperate with me. Sure, there were donuts and pizza this week. But not the way I used to eat that stuff; I used to stuff myself! But I am not who I used to be, and I can't let a little setback (or a few years' worth of setbacks) truly hold me back. So I simply keep trying, doing what I can to make progress. We'll see if things look any different next week.

Yesterday found me once again off and running; it was Monster Dash time! Linda and I dressed in our kilts and headed into Chicago for a 10K (with a little extra run at the end, because we had seven miles on the training plan). It was a perfect day for a run; a little chilly, only a few clouds, and a lakefront full of like-minded people. LOVELY!
Maggie, race-ready.
 We ran into our friend and group fitness instructor, the lovely MaryAnn! What are the chances that we'd randomly bump into one another? So much fun to see her. Love that girl!
Me, MaryAnn and Linda. 
The race itself was hard for me. I need to remember that I am pushing 217 pounds through space; it's not going to be easy. So I shouldn't be surprised that I did not do particularly well. I should also acknowledge that I don't really have to do well; it's about getting the training miles in before the Hot Chocolate 15K on November 4, right? So I should knock off the pressure?

Anyway, in the end I finished in 1:30:52, with a pace of 14:53 per mile. I was 519 out of 532 overall, 14 of 15 in my age group and 357 of 369 women. All things considered, I did a little better than I ran my last 10K, in January. The fact that the January race was in blinding snow and I was only two and a half minutes slower kinda pisses me off, but whatever. Sigh ... at least I'm moving.

I guess the whole point is that I'm moving. A lot. I started this year with the goal of completing 12 events during the year. As of now, I am on track to double that, with 24 events in 2012. Here's what I've done so far:

January: Polar Dash 10K, Frozen Zucchini 5K
February: Super Bowl Shuffle 5K, Disney Princess Half Marathon
March: Shamrock Shuffle 8K
April: Race to Wrigley 5K, LifeTime Fitness Indoor Triathlon, Healthy Parks 5K
May: Fat Ass 5K
June: Sweetness 5K, SheRox Spring Triathlon, Warrior Dash
July: Arlington Heights Stampede Run, Chase the Moon 20-mile bike ride
August: Run for Your Lives Zombie Obstacle Race
September: Firefly 5K, Midtown 5K, Harvest Hustle 5K
October: Monster Dash 10K

That's 19. (The only one that isn't included in this blog as a race report is Chase the Moon, because it was not a timed race.) So between now and the end of the year, I have the opportunity to do five more and bring my total to 24. Here's what I'm registered for:

October 27: Delavan Skeleton Scurry (while I'm taking a weekend away in Lake Geneva)
November 4: Hot Chocolate 15K
November 18: Yorkville Chili Chaser 5K
November 22: LaGrange 3.14 Run for Pie (Thanksgiving day)
December 1: Arlington Heights Santa Run 5K

That's it! 24 events in one year. I guess that's proof that you can be active even if you're carrying 50 extra pounds.


2 comments:

Awesomerness Jen said...

Love the kilt! I'm running the Hot Chocolate 15K too and am excited! :)

Maggie said...

Jen, the kilt is one of my favorite things. It's from Sport Kilts (www.sportkilt.com), and it is SO comfortable (and fun) to run in.

I LOVE the Hot Chocolate race. It gets better every year! Best of luck to you on your 15k ... enjoy the fondue!