Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Operation 2012

Hello, and welcome to February.

While I won't call it a resolution, I did begin 2012 with a plan. It's simple, really: Move with intention for at least one mile, every day. Run or walk, for one mile, every day, for one year. Create a 366-day streak of activity.

One month in, and I can celebrate 31 days of success. I use two different apps to track - Nike+ GPS for running and Map my Run for walking - so I keep the activities separate. The Nike app is a little generous, so my actual miles are actually a bit less than this indicates, but does that matter? Nope. Because I've done it.

My longest run is nine miles. Shortest walk, exactly one mile. And there's everything in between. There's a two-mile run simply because I was feeling good and wanted to go further than the "required" one. There are a few 1.7 mile walks over lunch when I needed to blow off steam. And there are training runs.

Dear GOD, the training runs! Some of them like to 'bout kill me. Speedwork is not my friend. But each time I'm out there, I'm adding on the miles.

I'm proud to say that my combined total miles for January is ... drumroll please ... 97.85. That's almost 100 miles, in one month!

Yep. I'm a little proud. So, welcome to February. This is the final month of training for the Princess Half Marathon. After this month, I expect the mileage to back off a bit. But I will definitely keep pressing forward!

As a little add-on this month, I think I'm going to go back to my push-ups and planks. As many push-ups, from my toes, as I can do, every day. Plus, hold a plank as long as I can every day. A few more minutes at the end of each day, just for me? Yeah. I can do that.

How 'bout you? Do you have an Operation 2012 goal? It's not too late to start. It's never too late to start.

No comments: