Thursday, February 16, 2012

One week

So for the past couple weeks, I've been fighting what I jokingly call Death Plague. Mostly just a nasty headcold, but it makes me feel like shit, to be honest. So when Valentine's Day came and I really felt like crap on a stick, I began to worry.

That night, I had to suck it up; after all, the show must go on! I was in a play that night, and there was no way I was going to let the production down. After all, it's a two-person cast. If I didn't make it, it would become a one-man show, a reading of letters from himself to himself. No, a single person cannot perform a play called "Love Letters". So I got my rear in gear and let adrenaline carry me through.

Then Wednesday dawned, and I called in sick. I never call in sick. I just did not feel up to vertical. I took a day to rest ... and that day turned into two. This morning, I saw the doctor. I'm taking an antibiotic, and hoping for the best.

I'm a little worried, because one week from tomorrow, I leave for Orlando. In one week, the journey that's taken me a full year to prepare for will officially begin.

Am I nervous? Hell yes. And being sick doesn't help. But I'm determined. I keep seeing myself crossing the finish line; I'm so excited to do that, to finish something I've worked so hard to prepare for.

I will be among the slowest on the course. Even after a year of preparation, running is really tough and slow for me. I hope to be able to complete the half marathon in under a 15-minute mile. If I'm able to do that, I'll finish in roughly three and a half hours. Am I ready? I don't know. Are you ever ready? Can you be ready for your first big race? I know that I've trained relatively well - as well as a heavy girl with a travel schedule can train - up until now. Last Sunday I ran 11, in the company of good friends, and it was painfully slow ... but I still went fast than the required 16-min-mile, over terrain that was pretty much snow-covered all the way.

So for now, I have visions of finishing and hopes for feeling better. I have a packing list and a playlist. I have a week to acknowledge that something that started out as a little wish is within my grasp.

On your mark ...

No comments: