Friday, November 9, 2012

Inspiration?

I took this week "off" as a runner. It was just too much to ask of myself, especially after my dismal run last sunday. Not to worry, I'll lace up my shoes again on Monday, but I felt like I really needed to give myself a break from the running, and even from thinking about running.

Truth is, I wasn't entirely sure I would get back next week. The Hot Chocolate was so incredibly hard for me. I felt like it was just time to stop pretending to be a runner. I mean, everyone else I know who thinks they are slow runs between a 10- and 12-minute mile. Me, I'm at +14 on my best days. It's sad, this not-making-progress thing. I'm bitter and I'm disappointed in myself.

And then ... I get a random text from a friend. This is a friend I've only gone running with one time. Still, this is what she said:
"You are inspirational! It [running] is addctive. Sometimes all I do is daydream about where and when I will run next. And while running, it is so exciting yet spiritual at the same time. I really want to thank you for every post about every run you do or sign up for. It truly warms my heart and motivates me. You rock!"
I know, right? She said all that about me!

You'll pardon me if I pinch myself. It's important to remember that it isn't about how fast you are. It really isn't about running, per se. It's about who we are becoming along the route.

No comments: