Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The work is play

Sunday is my fourth triathlon. My second outdoor, for-real triathlon. (Two have been indoor events, which - while great - are not quite as intense as the experience of swimming, biking and running outdoors.) As usual, my training has not been spot on. Life being what it is, I kinda have to go with the flow. What's more, I'm also technically training for a half marathon in July, so with the swimming and biking, I have some rather substantial runs on the plan.

Which means two things have fallen by the wayside: weight training, and yoga.

No more, ladies and gentlemen. Last night, I did a little weight training courtesy of the Nike Training Club app for iPhone. That little sucker kicks ass.

I am feeling my muscles today! There's something about working - really working - that gives you a delicious and hard-earned ache the next day. And it just served as a great reminder that I can make time. I can fit it in.

It was only a little demoralizing, this realization that I have let myself become so sedentary, I can't really jump, or do high-knee runs. Seriously! Practice is what made us good at this stuff when we were kids.

I stopped practicing, and I became overweight, out of shape and - gasp - a grown-up.

Well, no more, people. There is going to be a lot more play in my summer, and beyond. I need to practice jumping, skipping, working with the body I brought and building the body I deserve.

I'm not down on myself - not really. I mean, I'm in great shape compared to where I came from. But there is so much more work to be done. I have allowed myself to go stagnant and stop progressing, and it's time to get back to work. And I'm going to play through as much of that work as possible.

No comments: