Monday, July 2, 2012

The switch

You know how it is when you first start a new diet/exercise regimen? Everything is new, and you're raring to go, and it's like someone flipped a switch inside of you that made it possible for you to follow the program to the letter.

Over time, though, you weaken. Real life intervenes and you stray from the path. It happens; we've all been there.

This time, though ... pretty much since I started this blog ... it's been different. I've been bolstered by my faith that even though I may not always be perfect ... even though I stray (sometimes for weeks on end) I know, eventually, I will flip the switch again.

This was a switch-flippin' weekend. Yes, there was good food (ribs, corn, brats, cupcakes). Yes, there were adult beverage. Yes, there were late nights. But there was also balance - balance caused by my own insistance not to obsess, but to allow my best self to run the show. So Thursday night I drove to Wisconsin. First thing Friday morning, I went for a run. I meant to go two miles, but it was so pretty (and damn those hills!)

The people of Wisco refer to us Illinoisians as "flatlanders" ... and this is why. So I found myself out running in this beautiful countryside, and my one mile out/one mile back quick run turned into two out/two back, all of which (I swear) were uphill. Both ways. I thought I was going to die. But it was worth it!

While I was up North of the border, my friends Amber and Jeremiah took the opportunity to visit Northwind Perennial Farm. This place is gorgeous ... and it offered another opportunity to take a little walk.

 Jeremiah and Amber, enjoying the surroundings.
 Goats!
Just one of the many paths we followed through the Farm.

It's such a beautiful place, with litle nooks and crannies (and donkeys and geese) just waiting for you to discover. So pretty!

All too soon my time in Wisconsin was coming to an end. But that didn't mean the workouts ended! On Saturday morning, I attempted to do "the 500". Attempted is the key word here, because it was pretty impossible, but one day I will get there! The 500, as described to me by my friend Ryan, is a pretty simple workout: 100 push-ups, 100 pull-ups (or whatever upper-body move you're capable of), 100 crunches, 100 squats and 100 burpees. I ended up doing the 300, or 60 each of those moves (with bicep curls, shoulder presses and lateral raises instead of pull-ups, because I didn't want to die). By the time I was done, my quads already hurt (dude, it's been years since I've done one burpee, let alone 60) and I knew Sunday wasn't gonna be pretty. But that's okay.

Sunday, I woke up at home, in my own bed, with a full day stretching out before me. Could easily have been a lazy day, but not for this girl. Nope, I chose instead to head out for a bike ride with Kristen through Busse Woods. It was a great day for a ride - 90 degrees and sunny, not a day for running but on the bike, you create your own breeze! Felt good to know that on a three-day weekend, I did not take a single day "off" of working out.

So I feel like the switch remains in the "on" position. If my preliminary weigh-in this morning is any indication, I've taken off a few pounds. We'll weigh in for realzies on the scale at the gym tonight. Full report tomorrow! Until then, remember to move!

No comments: