Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Rainier cherries

We have reached that time of year when crack is in season. Yes, ladies and gentlemen ... Rainier cherries are available in the produce section.

Mind you, the ones I picked up in Wisconsin on Sunday were better than the ones I got at Jewel in Illinois on Monday, so maybe it's not quite time yet. But still, it signals that amazing time of year, when food is good, grown locally and, occasionally, addictive.

At the height of Rainier cherry season, I will eat a pound a day. (I will also be very regular.) I love the damn things. The realization that these things are like crack to me dates back to the summer of 1999, at a drive-in theater with Rice and Rae (and probably the ex, but he doesn't figure prominently in the story, so for the purposes of this post, he can just go fuck himself.) Anyway, we sat in our bag chairs before the movie, snacking on baguettes and olive oil, fresh tomatoes ... and these cherries. Neither Rice nor I could stop eating them, and he said, "These are like crack to me."

Truer words were never spoken. This, my friends, is my favorite fruit.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Me too, but crack is cheaper. Sheesh. Little boogers are $6 a lb right now. I can't afford to eat them as much as I'd like!

Michelle said...

Last night I went to the grocery store and what to my delighted eyes did I see? Cherries on for 3.99 a box! YAY :) Given the coincidence, had to share.
And yes, I got a box and yes I'm plowing through them.

Maggie said...

I'm on my third pound. The Meijer had pretty good prices, if they have Meijer where you are.

I'd write more, but I'm too busy eating cherries ;)