Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Running through airports, mac-n-cheese, and weighing in

My office was closed for the observance of Veterans Day on Monday, so I took the opportunity to find myself a cheap flight and wing my way to Minneapolis for the long weekend. Much to my chagrin, Tucson Mike and family relocated to MN a few months back, so my sunny getaways will now be something else entirely ... but in exchange, I get fast, cheap flights and more opportunities to see them. Totally worth it. (I think.)

So it's Friday evening, and I'm waiting in the terminal for my flight when it occurs to me that they're announcing a different flight number. Because I am at the wrong gate. In fact, I was accidentally waiting for a flight that was going to Minneapolis by way of Newark; my gate was in the next terminal. Next thing you know, I'm running through the airport like a scene from a movie. In my work clothes (complete with heels) schlepping my duffel bag, sprinting through Midway (praise Jesus I was not at O'Hare), skidding to a halt, taking off (and carrying) my shoes, running the rest of the way in stocking feet and making it to the very end of the boarding line.

I ended up sitting in the middle seat. I'm sure I smelled sweaty. But as I sat there, I thought to myself, "Thank goodness I am a runner!" Otherwise, I'm pretty sure I would have missed the flight. Plus, I get a great story out of the whole mess.

I arrived in Minneapolis and Mike, Rae and Kaylee were there to pick me up. It was a little late to eat dinner, so we just swung through the Wendy's drive-through and I got their apple harvest salad. It was very good! It was also the last healthy food choice I would make all weekend.

The rest of my time up north was filled with homemade banana bread (I love you, Rae), Chinese food at the mall, bake potato pizza (I am not kidding in the slightest) accompanied by the best beer I have ever had, and build-your-own macaroni and cheese. Seriously? I was served this steaming vessel of shell pasta with cheese and breadcrumbs, to which I added chicken, roasted garlic, caramelized onion and ... wait for it ...

white truffle oil.

Pasta nirvana.

It was not a weekend for tracking my calories, to say the least. But it did give me a bit of resolve. I weighed myself this morning, and came in at 214.2. I expect it will go up a bit next week, because sometimes I think my weight is a week behind my efforts, so I'm poised for that. In the meantime, I have assured myself that I can get through the holidays and still lose. I will track my calories and see how it goes; I was back on the bandwagon today, and I'm feeling good about that.

Also, Runners World issued a streak challenge to run at least one mile every day from Thanksgiving through New Year's. You in? I'm gonna go for it!

No comments: