Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Me, and Sally Field

Remember that Oscar speech? The one where Sally Field waxed philosophical about how the Academy felt about her? It was 1985, and she won Best Actress for "Places in the Heart".
"I can’t deny the fact that you like me, right now, you like me!"
I sorta feel like that, right now. See, a month or so ago, I issued a challenge - to myself and to my friends. If they - you - would help me raise $500 for the MS (Multiple Sclerosis) Society, I would run a half marathon.

For the past few years, I've participated in Walk MS, a walk-a-thon that benefits the MS Society. My team is the Myelin Milers, and at its helm is my friend G. She was diagnosed with MS in 2009, and is committed to showing this disease who's boss. As my personal awareness of MS increased, I began to realize that I know many people affected by it ... and it became even more important to me to support the cause.

So I set the goal for $500, and the next thing I knew, I'd reached it. Right away, my friend Rich came up with an idea to help me get even more donations: Bagpipes.

See, I'm running in a kilt. So for $500, I run a half marathon in a kilt.

When I reached $600, I agreed to accessorize with argyle socks.

At $700, I allow my donors to choose my playlist for the run.

And at $800, when I reach the finish line, Rich will meet me. With bagpipes. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the kind of support my friends offer me.

That was yesterday. In the hours since then, my friends and family have continued to donate. At the time of this writing, I am at $945. With $55 more in donations, I will reach $1,000 - double my original goal. Ergo, my Sally Field moment. The people who have my back - you amazing and wonderful people who have selflessly donated to the cause - you believe in me. You believe that on Sunday morning, I will cross the start line, and I will continue running for about three hours ... the time it will take me to run 13.1 miles.

I can't deny the fact that you believe in me, right now, you believe in me! Knowing that, I have the confidence get it done.

So here's to you, with all my gratitude. I run for you:

  • Diane, Justin, Aidan, Eva and Koen Rand
  • Emily Schneider
  • Angelicque Cate
  • Kathy Mickelson
  • The Ludena Family - Polly, Marc, Ross, Jack and Ro
  • Linda Clegg
  • Kimberly Thuente
  • Susan Carolina
  • Trish Koran
  • Amy Turk
  • My sister Pat
  • mEllen Bruce
  • Mary Jo Hann
  • Kristine Keef
  • Lorna Clegg
  • Monica McIltrot
  • Gretchen Taylor
  • Mike, Rae & Kaylee Rice
  • Eric, Milly & Danny Schwartz
  • Mammy
  • Cinthya Mix
  • Michael Bushman
  • Brian Powles (my eighth grade English teacher)
And, for the record, if you'd still like to donate, the MS Society will gladly accept your gift. My page can be found here. 

3 comments:

Spiggitz the Cat said...

Now... is this going to be an ACTUAL kilt or just a plaid skirt? Either one is fine... but don't call it a kilt if it's just a plaid skirt. If all you have is a plaid skirt - at least make an effort and dangle a small handbag with a whisk broom taped to it in front. That would make it kilty. A fake sporran is a sporran all the same, I guess. If you like pooping on cultures.

Spiggitz the Cat said...

BTW - my people will be there cheering you on at the finish line, because you are freaking AWESOME!!!!

Maggie said...

Spig- Have your people bring yo to the finish line. It could be a lot of fun! And by the way, my kilt is the real deal, but made for runners. It's from a company called ?Sport Kilt; it's super cute! You'd approve.