Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Half marathon, all crazy

So I made a few bargains while asking for donations for the half marathon, benefitting the MS Society. The coolest was that if I reached $800, my friend Rich Bird would come to the finish line to "pipe me in" on the bagpipes. SO NEAT.

But there were other "incentives", too, that allow donors to be part of the experience. First, I asked everyone for a thought, hope or prayer that I would keep in the center of my mind throughout a portion of the race. With the number of donors I have, each person will have roughly a half mile dedicated to their request. 

I also asked for people to suggest songs for my running playlist, which I'll use to keep me moving forward on Sunday. So I thought I'd share with you what I've received, both prayers and songs. I will update as more come in. 

I'll be thinking of and praying for ...
  • a dear friend's sister who is battling MS.
  • the children. Think of the children. (There's a jokester in the bunch.)
  • those who are battling MS combined with depression, and how hard it is to deal with both.
  • health and happiness for all those we love. 
  • family.
  • everyone fighting MS.
  • that we can leave a better world for our children.
  • all my friends to have happiness, however they define it.
  • a woman named Barb who was admired and appreciated by her co-workers, and has moved on to a different job.
I'll be listening to ...
  • I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor
  • Big Panty Woman by Barefoot Man
  • Tubthumping by Chumbawamba
  • The Greatest Love of All by Whitney Houston (at which point I will probably have to step off the trail and vomit)
  • Silent Running by Mike & the Mechanics
  • Texas Twister by Little Feat (I'll probably listen to Dixie Chicken, too)
  • Not Dead Yet by Bad Examples
  • Kryptonite (Live) by 3 Doors Down
  • Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen (who else?)
  • Viva la Vida by Coldplay
  • Something Pitbull (haven't decided what!)
  • Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen
  • God's Great Dance Floor by Chris Tomlin
  • Raise Your Glass by P!nk
  • Chelsea DAgger by The Fratellis
  • Jump by Van Halen
  • The Olympic Theme by John Williams
  • Carry On by Fun
I am still reeling with the generosity of my friends and family. The donations continue to come in, and I am so grateful that so many have chosen to support my run by giving to an organization I believe in. I absolutely trust that, in time, one of the dollars we raise will be the one that wipes out MS. And that's the real gift.

No comments: