Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Training "Run" No. 2

Well, there are lots of good things to report.

First, I have gotten through my second training run for the Big 5K, which I will be running (I will be running!) exactly one month from today. Second, I did it without hurting my knee. These are both important changes. Third - and maybe the most meaningful - is the fact that, when I got home tonight, I really wanted to make dinner, sit down and watch television. Instead, I got dinner prepared, suited up and hit the street.

Two miles was all I made it tonight, doing a series of run/walk intervals I was sure I could handle with no trouble at all. It was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Walk seven minutes, run two; repeat three times. Clearly, something is wrong with my watch, because it moves quickly during the seven minutes of walking, and very slowly during the two minutes of running.

I just kept thinking to myself, "good form; follow your breath; you can do anything for two minutes." I may not be getting better at it (yet), but I am getting from point A to point B.

The other interesting factor here is that I have now worked out (albeit only for half an hour) on two days that normally don't get me moving. Usually, Sunday and Wednesday are days of rest. I have fewer of those now; in fact, according to "the plan", Friday is the only absolute day each week of no sweat.

Feels good. Feels like change. Feels like strength.

No comments: