Monday, January 10, 2011

One week at a time

I have goals.

Sometimes they scare me.

See, I'll be participating in one event every month for the entire year. I know this is doable. I'm not sure my May event is, however.

I am training for a half-marathon.

Today, the training begins in earnest. Four to five runs a week, most of which are pretty simple, but one is always for distance. For us beginners, it's a doable week - two miles tonight, two and a half on Wednesday, two easy slow fun miles on Thursday, and three on Saturday. I know I can do that; I've already run three miles. But in week eight, the Saturday run is seven miles. It goes all the way up two 12 miles the week before race day. Slow, steady increases over the course of 18 months to (hopefully) get me there.

Can I do it? I have no idea. I am committed to my first half in February of next year, but I have friends who insist I can do it.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can. I am the little runner who could.

No comments: