Thursday, January 3, 2013

Rest

I've created an active life. So active, in fact, that a day without some sort of activity is rather rare. So yesterday, when I arrived at the gym locker room and began unpacking my bag, I was dismayed to realize that I had forgotten to pack gym shoes. The gym I was at is about a 45 minutes from Camp Clovertree (aka, "home") so I took that as a sign that I was just supposed to go home.

And rest.

I'm fighting a bit of the schpilkus, and I figured after running every day since Thanksgiving, I was due.

Today when I woke up, I started feeling the effects of rest almost immediately. My legs, which were sore yesterday after Sunday's five-mile run, feel good today. My sore throat feels a little less sore. My brain feels calm. All because I took one night to rest.

I've been told that the rest is as important as the work, but I've never really given a lot of credit to the truth of that. I'm not sure I believe it 100 percent; after all, we have to burn calories, we have to build muscle. But sometimes, we have to rest.

There's time enough to work out tonight.

No comments: