Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trepidation

Why is it that each week as weigh-in approaches, I panic?

Tonight, I'm meeting some friends to listen to some music, and have a few (light) beers. Tomorrow or Friday, I get on the scale. And I'm filled with trepidation.

Part of me is excited, because I love that feeling when the scale says "good job". Part of me is scared as hell, though, because ... what if it says "get off, you're hurting me" instead?

I know, I know - just do it, right? And I will. But it's a little scary.

Now that I've got that off my chest, let's move on to the good stuff. Classes at LifeTime Fitness Schaumburg! I love 'em, and Tuesday nights are the best. I get an hour of weight training with MaryAnn (which occasionally hurts me and causes me to curse my hidden muscles) and an hour of dancing with Donna (which is the fastes hour of every week). I always leave these classes feeling inspired - sometimes by the instructors, but most of the time by my fellow students. We support and encourage each other, and it's really quite beautiful to see.

After class last night, my knee was pretty damn sore, but that seems to have subsided quite a bit. I am almost back to the comfort level I had before the physical therapy, so it's likely time to kick my "homework" into high gear again and begin to re-strengthen the muscles of my left leg, in order to support the knee. And, let's remember - with every pound I lose, my knee sends up a little prayer of thanksgiving.

OH! I'm noticing some little changes with this health quest. First, I'm not taking Tums at night. I used to have horrible heartburn; isn't it crazy that eight pounds can make such a difference? It can. Trust me. And, my friend John told me last night that my belly - or, as my friend Eric puts it, my "front butt" - is smaller. This is great news, because frankly, that is my least favorite body part. Phew ... it's leaving!

No comments: